APICS DETAILED SCHEDULING & PLANNING
1 session per week
4 hours per session
Total class hours: 40
Detailed Scheduling & Planning is one of three core modules in the APICS CPIM certification series; the other two being, Execution & Control of Resources and Master Planning of Resources,This course is intended for Operations and Supply Chain professionals who want to improve their knowledge and skills and master the APICS Body of Knowledge terminology and concepts. This course is strongly recommended for anyone pursuing their APICS CPIM certification.
Students taking the course should have successfully completed Basics of Supply Chain Management, or one or more of the core modules, or have a minimum of 5 years working knowledge in the subject matter area.
This course focuses on the various techniques for material and capacity planning and scheduling.
It provides detailed descriptions of material requirements planning (MRP), capacity requirements planning (CRP), inventory management strategies and practices, and procurement and supplier planning.
It addresses the planning factors and data elements used in MRP; including: lot sizing, lead time, safety stock, and inventory and other planning data.
It demonstrates how to plan and schedule dependent demand items using MRP. It also demonstrates how to define capacity and how to calculate load and capacity requirements for key resources.
Finally it explores the concept of procurement planning, and development of strategic alliances and partnerships with suppliers to achieve competitive advantage.
- Inventory classification/types
- Inventory Valuation/Costing
- Lot-sizing & Safety Stock
- Inventory ordering systems
- Independent vs. Dependent demand
- Lean/JIT Principles and tools
- Inventory record accuracy
Information Used in MRP Systems:
- Item data and planning factors
- Master Production Schedule
- Bills of material
- Material Planning process
- Inputs to MRP system
- Gross/Net requirements
- MRP calculations
- Planned orders
Using MRP effectively:
- Managing changes to material plans
- MRP outputs and reports
- Closed loop planning
- Project planning
- Project scheduling tools
- Maintaining schedule/budget
- Principles of capacity planning
- Capacity Requirements Planning (CRP)
- Capacity loading techniques
- Balancing load/capacity
- Establishing Supply partnerships
- Sourcing alternatives
- Supply Chain Acceleration