HAZARDOUS MATERIALS & EMERGENCY RESPONSE
1 session per week
4 hours per session
Total Class: 40 hours
Hazardous Materials & Emergency Response training program (Operational Level) is tailored specifically for hazardous material handlers, hazardous waste generators, and emergency response personnel with specific duties to manage or coordinate health and safety issues during hazmat incidents. Previous students have included (but are not limited to): Plant Managers, Health and Safety Officers, Environmental Coordinators or Technicians, Hazardous Waste Storage or Treatment Operators / Technicians, and Human Resources / Personnel Officers.
- Introduction to Environmental Chemistry.
- Introduction to Environmental Toxicology.
- Overview of Federal and State Regulations & Regulators.
- Emergency and Contingency Planning: Federal, State and Local Perspective.
- Cal/OSHA Compliance: Cal/OSHA Inspection, Permit Required Confined Spaces, Blood born Pathogens, and Hazmat Lab Requirements.
- Environmental Monitoring, Hazard Assessment, and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Emergency Response – Incident Reporting, Mitigation, Decontamination, and Termination.
- Hazardous Waste Management: Waste Determination, DOT Table 172.101 Application, Hazardous Waste Manifest & Shipping.
- Hazardous Waste Labeling, Placarding, Marking, Loading, and Hazardous Waste Minimization / Source Reduction (SB14).
- Universal Waste Requirements, Empty Container Policy, Prop 65 Program, and Fire Prevention Programs.