SOLIDWORKS PLASTICS MOLD DESIGN
1 session per week
4 hours per session
Total Class: 40 hours
This course is designed to provide practical knowledge and tools to improve plastic mold tool design using SolidWorks design tools and simulation. The target audience includes: mold designers and engineering staff. After completing the course, the participants will be able to demonstrate their ability to design an effective plastics mold tool through the use of the SolidWorks mold design tools.
Mold Design Overview
Complex mold designs change constantly during part development. Constant import, export, and repair of data, as designers move models between part and mold design, can consume valuable design time and introduce errors and inaccuracies due to data translation. As a result, mold designers typically wait until the part design is “frozen” before they start tooling.
SOLIDWORKS provides an advantage with design and validation of parts and tooling in one system. Designers can validate that parts can be molded successfully, including checking for draft, thickness, and undercuts to ensure the correct geometry for molding. Additionally, designers can use SOLIDWORKS Plastics to simulate mold filling and determine the best gate locations, whether the part will fill correctly, where weld lines might form, and possible sink locations.
SOLIDWORKS Plastics brings easy-to-use injection molding simulation directly to the designers of plastic parts and injection molds, as well as advanced CAE analysis. It simulates how melted plastic flows during the injection molding process to predict manufacturing-related defects on parts and molds. You can quickly evaluate manufacturability while you design, to eliminate costly mold rework, improve part quality, and accelerate time to market. A Results Adviser provides troubleshooting steps and practical design advice to help diagnose and avoid potential problems.
Minimum pre-requisite for this class is PDC SolidWorks Basic training.
(This outline is intended to be a guide for the course and is subject to change without notice at the discretion of the instructor)
Understanding Marketing and the Marketing Process
- Complete plastic part and advanced surfacing design tools.
- Geometry Import, Repair, and Healing tools.
- Draft Analysis, Undercut Analysis, and Thickness Analysis tools.
- Parting line tools.
- Parting surface tools.
- Automated “fill surface” capability for easy shutoff surface creation.
- Core and cavity splitting tools.
- SOLIDWORKS 3D mold bases available on-line and directly from major mold suppliers.
- SOLIDWORKS configurations to create customizable configurations of molds and mold components.
- Compare Part tools to visually see in 3D what geometry was added or removed when design changes occur.
- Mold filling simulation.
- Production quality mold drawing creation tools.
- Seamless integrations with several industry leading CAM products allowing NC tool paths to automatically update with part design and tooling changes.
- Analysis of the mold tool using SolidWorks Plastics.
- Runner balancing for multiple part cavities.
- Thermal analysis of mold tool.