APICS PRINCIPLES OF OPERATION AND SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT
The introductory course addresses the fundamental principles and practices of Supply Chain and Operations Management business processes and systems. Major topics covered in this course include: Demand Management, Sales and Operations Planning, Master Production Scheduling, Material Planning (MRP), Capacity Planning, Inventory Management and Control, Production Planning and Control, Purchasing, and Lean Management practices. Students will be introduced to APICS Body of Knowledge concepts and terminology.
This course is developed for Operations and Supply Change professionals and practitioners who want to gain practical knowledge and job skills that they can apply immediately in the workplace and that will help them to prepare them for additional professional development and certification. This course is also designed for planners, buyers, master schedulers, demand planners, production planners, material planners, production and inventory control coordinators, cost accountants, quality control personnel, and others who are involved in the day-to-day activities of operations and supply chain management. While this class is not specifically designed as an APICS Certification preparation course it will provide a solid foundation for students going on to and take CPIM Part 1 and 2 and CSCP Certification courses.
TOPICS AND COURSE CONTENT
- Fundamentals of Sales and Operations Planning
- Demand Management Principles and Practices
- Master Scheduling Foundations
- Basics of Material Planning
- Capacity Planning and Management
- Fundamentals of Inventory Management
- Fundamentals of Purchasing
- Introduction to Distribution & Logistics
- Lean Production Management
- Process Improvement and Performance
LEARNING GOALS AND RESULTS
At the conclusion of the course, the participants will be able to:
- Explain fundamental concepts of Supply Chain and Operations Management
- Be familiar with the terminology of Supply Chain and Operations Management
- Complete simple exercises demonstrating their understanding of the subject matter
- Apply the skills and practices that they have learned in their own jobs and companies
- Develop the foundation for taking APICS certification exams
This class is 40 hours of classroom time taken in ten 4-hour sessions over the course of 10 weeks. Homework will include reading the chapters prior to class and completing assigned exercises and performance checks.