Effective Communication Skills for Professionals
This course is designed to improve communication skills across various modes, which include individual, group, or technologically-based interactions. Particularly in a world with reliance on rapidly expanding technologies, building effective and professional communication skills require a set of skills to achieve desired outcomes. Participants start with an assessment (DiSC) to build self-awareness of their own communication styles and their impact on others. Students will highlight common barriers to effective communication, while exploring fundamental skills and tools to enhance verbal, written, and presentation skills.
This course is open to any professional who seeks to improve their communication skills. It is suitable for managers, supervisors, frontline employees, human resources professionals, undergraduate, or graduate students interested in developing or enhancing professional communication skills.
TOPICS & COURSE CONTENT
- Going Beyond Words – Skills Needed for Effective Communication
- It Starts With YOU – Building Self-Awareness and Impact on Others Through DiSC
- Building Interpersonal Skills Through Active Listening
- Accelerate Alignment Through Verbal, Written, and Presentation Skills
- Demonstrate Professionalism in Various Settings (e.g. Work, Home, Digital)
LEARNING GOALS & RESULTS
At the conclusion of the course, the participants will be able to:
- Better understand what effective communication means in today’s world
- Build awareness on various communication styles, techniques, and processes (DiSC)
- Follow email etiquette and written communication techniques
- Improve business writing skills in areas such as business letters, proposals, filling forms, agreements, business emails, etc.
- Learning ways to flex and adapt your style based on your audience
- Develop communication skills, including verbal, nonverbal, listening, and preparation
- Apply appropriate methods of communication for various modes of delivery (verbal, email, instant messenger, social media, meeting etiquette, presentations, etc.)
- Understand cultural implications on communication styles
- Recognize professional communication as a reflection of self and their organization
This class is 24 hours of classroom time taken in 4-hour sessions over the course of 6 consecutive weeks.
Please Note: Course content and time investment can also be customized to an individual company’s needs.