Essential Skills for Stockroom Employees
This course focuses on universally accepted inventory planning and control processes and systems used by Stockroom and Inventory Management professionals: The concepts presented in this course are applicable to managing inventory in all Manufacturing, Service, and Distribution companies. All terms and concepts taught in this course are based on the APICS Body of knowledge.
This course is ideal for both new and experienced employees whose job deals with planning and controlling inventory including: Stockroom personnel, Shipping and Receiving employees, Material Handlers, Inventory Planners, Cycle counters and other inventory control associates that want to hone their job skills and gain practical knowledge in the field of Stockroom and Inventory Management.
None. It is strongly recommended that students have a basic knowledge or some experience with purchasing activities.
Topics and Course Content
Fundamentals of Inventory Management (PIM-2)
- Inventory Management Objectives and Strategy
- Function and Purpose of Inventory
- Inventory Trade Off Decisions
Purpose & Function of Inventory (PIM-3)
- Five Functions of Inventory
- Elements of Inventory Cost and Inventory Valuation
Inventory Replenishment (PIM-4)
- Inventory Replenishment Methods and Objectives
- Order Point, Safety Stock and EOQ
Lean Inventory (PIM-7)
- Lean Concepts and Practice
- Lean Techniques
Warehouse Management (PDL-7)
- Basic Functions and Objectives of Warehousing
- Warehouse Operations
- Warehouse Performance Measurements
Packaging & Materials Handling (PDL-8)
- Warehouse Design, Layout, and Capacity Planning
- Material Handling, Storage, and Picking
Learning Goals and Results
At the conclusion of the course, the participants will be able to:
- Utilize learned basic terms, concepts, systems, and best practices used by inventory management and stockroom professionals.
- Apply learned material in performing their current job and/or be prepared for a next level job opportunity.
- Use terminology and concepts learned in this course in preparing for the APICS for Production & Inventory Management (CPIM) Certification exams.
This class is 24 hours of classroom (or virtual platform) time taken in 2-hour sessions, twice a week, over a period of 6 weeks.