If you are familiar with Excel and you need to manage and analyze large amounts of data, Microsoft Access® may be the next logical tool for you. Microsoft Access® is an information management tool that allows the user to store, report, and analyze information within a relational database. Access makes it easy to keep sort, organize, and track data.
In this course, the participants will learn about the important features of the program and how to use them. Once the basics are reviewed, the more advanced features will be covered for a complete understanding. If you have used Access before, the first few lessons will be a refresher, after which you will become familiar with the updates you’ll encounter in the newest version of Microsoft Access.
This course is designed for students who wish to establish a foundational understanding of Microsoft Office Access®, including the skills necessary to create a new database, construct data tables, design forms and reports, and create queries.
Students taking this course should have a basic understanding of computers and the essentials of their operating systems. They should also have good keyboarding skills and know how to use a computer mouse.
Topics and Course Content
- Access Requirements and Setup
- Databases and Normalization
- Access Database Objects
- Navigating Microsoft Access®
- Creating a Database and Adding Tables
- Object Views
- Creating Simple Forms
- Introduction to Controls and Formatting Forms
- Using Criteria, Operators, and Wildcards
- Parameter Queries
- Relationships and Joins
- Creating Calculated Expressions
- Summarizing Data
- Pivot Tables
- Pivot Charts
- Designing Your Report
- Advanced Formatting for Reports
- Printing and Exporting Reports
- Importing and Exporting Data
Learning Goals and Results
At the conclusion of the course the participants will be able to:
- Describe databases and normalization
- Demonstrate the creation of a database and add tables
- Summarize object views
- Create simple forms
- Apply usage of queries and their criteria
- Use parameter queries
- Summarize data
- Demonstrate the usage of pivot tables
- Design, create and print reports
- Use macros
- Import and export data
This class is 40 hours of classroom time taken in 4-hour sessions over the course of 10 weeks.
Please Note: Course content and time investment can also be customized to an individual company’s needs.