APICS ESSENTIAL SKILLS FOR WAREHOUSE & DISTRIBUTION EMPLOYEES
This course focuses on fundamental concepts related to Warehousing and Distribution Management. It addresses the sourcing, stocking, and distribution of products direct to customers or through complex supply chain distribution channels. Major topics covered in this course are: Inventory Planning and Control, Warehouse Management, Logistics, and Transportation, and Distribution Planning.
This course is ideal for both new and experienced warehouse employees including Stock Clerks, Shipping and Receiving Clerks, Material Handlers, Inventory Planners Transportation Specialists, and other warehouse associates who want to hone their job skills and gain practical knowledge in the field of Warehouse & Distribution Management.
There are no prerequisites for this course. However, it is strongly recommended that students have a basic knowledge or some experience in warehouse operations.
Topics and Course Content
Inventory Management (PDL-4)
- Basic Functions and Types of Inventory
- Strategic Inventory Management
- Inventory Replenishment and Safety Stock
Warehouse Management Concepts (PDL-7)
- Warehouse Management Functions
- Warehouse Strategies, 3PL’s
- Warehouse Roles and Activities
Distribution and Logistics (PDL-2)
- Supply and Distribution Channel Structure
- Distribution Function Roles and Activities
- Logistics Strategy
Distribution Planning (PDL-5)
- Push vs. Pull Systems
- Distribution Requirements Planning DRP
Packaging and Material Handling (PDL-8)
- Warehouse Design and Layouts
- Materials Handling and Storage Systems
Transportation Management (PDL-9)
- Fundamentals of Transportation Management
- Logistics and Outsourcing Models
Learning Goals and results
At the conclusion of the course, the participants will:
- Learn the basic terms, concepts, and best practices used by Warehouse and Distribution Management professionals that can immediately be applied in
performing their current job and/or be used to prepare for a next level job opportunity.
- Can use the terminology and concepts learned in this course to aid them in preparing for APICS Certification exams for Production & Inventory Management (CPIM), Supply Chain Management (CSCP) or Logistics, Transportation & Distribution (CLTD).
This class is 24 hours of remote classroom instruction taken in 2-hour sessions twice a week over the course of 6 weeks.